Thursday, September 14, 2006

I've been called racist a few times. I guess I cou;d write about that.
The most recent attack on my ethics was during my critique of a thirty second video I made. In the few moments assigned, I zoomed in on the face of Josephine Baker in three of her painted portraits and created a dialogue between them. I thought it was interesting because I was appropriating someone's artwork after he appropriated someone's fame. And I created three personalityies out of one person, using my own voice split into three versions. It was a triple split of ourselves for both me and Josephine. Nothing was said about any of his. Nor was anything said about Josephones nipple, vissible in two of the paintings. Nor did they say anything about the rediculous things I had the images saying.
Instead, I was asked, "Why did you use a black woman. What does that mean?"
I answered that her race had no influence upon my decision in using her. Then someoen said that the only thing that made me think it wasn't about race was the fact that I am white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home